Saturday 7 April 2012

Gestational Relationship Uncovered or Invented?

Scanning through the most recent medical news my eyes fixate the title ‘Early Birth Tied To Health Risks In Early Years’ reading on I discover that a UK research project found that there was a clear link between gestation time and what health issues arise in the first few years.  The study also concluded that babies that were born preterm were the most likely to have mothers who smoked and least likely to receive breastmilk for more than four months.


What I ask from this article is how the researches felt that they had the concrete answer with the relationships, and how they were able to make such a clinical answer from an observation. Another thing I question is how they could carry out any practise with such data.
The study is guaranteed to look great on records and increases global knowledge but, in reality, the study gives us nothing.


Midwifes can hardly suffocate a baby to keep it in the uterus so it to go to full term to prevent any possible complications in the first years. Surely the money gone into the research could have been better spend in a field positive that its findings could actually impact on society. 



"The researchers found that babies born at less than 37 weeks of gestation were more likely to have single mothers, with fewer educational achievements and less likely to be in managerial jobs."

Is the above statement not offencive to those born a week or two early? Winston Churchill, Thomas Hobbes, Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein were all born prematurely. Are you going to start a debate whether their achievements in life were due to luck just because they were born early?
No- I wouldn't.
Personally I will take no notice from this article (and my advice is that nor should you) as, in my opinion, it is ludicrous and impossible to officially prove. Birth happens and it will continue to. We should be celebrating new life rather than dwelling on prematurity.
Can I just get a few letters in front and after my name, write a report like I swallowed the thesaurus and then cross my fingers? (If I can please get in contact and you will soon see 'The Universe- No Question, Always an Answer' in a bookshop near you.)
I discreetly laugh and clearly this is one piece of medical research which I disagree with, and you can be sure that there are many other articles to question coming along.



Besides who says that you can’t argue with science?

No comments:

Post a Comment