Wednesday 4 April 2012

Fat is Useful!


On http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/242327.php  I found the article 'Man's Head Reshaped With Fat From His Stomach' and I had to immediately click the link to read more.
The simple title instilled a hunger for more information as to how fat can reshape a part of your body; let alone the section that contains the most vital of vital organs.

Reading on, I read that 32 year old Tom Barter, fell from 7.5 m high of a drain pipe unto the ground and shattering his cheek bone and eye socked. Leaving Barter with devastating injuries which had resulted in him taking unrequited leave from work. 
Luckily the medical staff at Kings College Hospital were on hand after he woke up from his ten day coma. 
After reconstructing a mirror image of the missing part of the skull they used fat from his own body and titanium to replace the bone. 
This procedure was the first of its kind in the UK, and I find it particularly interesting as they used an undesired substance that many find 'ugly, annoying and an inconvenience’ to medical advantages. 
I find the message that many can take of this is that anything can be useful; even when it is commonly considered as unwanted. 
The oddest body part can save a person’s life and I, myself, take the clear message that my extra bit of fat that I carry along with me should be valued and even respected in its own right. 
Clearly those few extra pounds I carry can one day safe my life.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you- I have.
    I am very opinionated about religion I am a Christian myself but there are certian things that I will not stand for. Certain denominations make me tick.
    Just one question, do you randomly post 'you are...my blog' on random peoples blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are more than welcome to visit my blog and become a follower. I didn’t see a follow widget on this site, but if you put one up...I will gladly follow you as well.

    I came across your blog by clicking on your avatar on a blog we both follow.

    And...clearly...that extra fat I also carry around could on day save my life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, thanks. I can't seem to find the widget that allows people to follow you. I generally click at the top where it says follow.
    Thank you for clicking the avatar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice article, I'm looking forward to your next one : )
    Keep up the good work : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article!
    Looking forward to your next one ( :

    ReplyDelete